Public Transport Summit for Greater Alexandra Residents
6 August 2008
The Gauteng Department of Public Transport Roads and Works have joined forces with taxi associations and commuter organisations in the Greater Alexandra to stage a public transport summit scheduled for 15 to 17 August 2008. The summit will be hosted at the Safari Lodge in Rustenburg. It aims to provide a platform for the strengthening of sound relations between the department, taxi operators and greater Alexandra community.
The objectives of the summit are as follows:
* To provide information to all stakeholders in the public transport sector in Greater Alexandra
* To identify and agree on common principles, programmes and projects to improve the day to day travelling experience for commuters
* To create peace and stability in the taxi Industry within Greater Alexandra
* To address the current public transport challenges faced by the residents of Greater Alexandra
* To set up a process for reaching agreements in the form of a Declaration of Intent, Programme of Action and resolutions for implementation in the short, medium to long term
* To secure commitment of all stakeholders to the implementation of programmes and projects intended to improve the quality of public transport services for the residents of Greater Alexandra, especially as it relates to the departmental objectives regarding public transport in the province.
MEC Ignatius Jacobs of the Department of Public Transport, Roads and Works and Firoz Cachalia of the Community Safety will address the summit.
For further information regarding the summit, please contact:
Tel: 011 355 7532
Issued by: Department of Public Transport, Gauteng Provincial Government
6 August 2008
Source: Gauteng Provincial Government (http://www.gpg.gov.za/)