Media invitation to the Torch of Peace handover ceremony
28 January 2008
Acting KwaZulu-Natal Education MEC, Peggy Nkonyeni will receive the Torch of Peace from Gauteng Education MEC Angelina Motshekga tomorrow, 30 January 2008 at Mafu High School in the Uthungulu District, Bergville.
This 2008 campaign is a symbol of the department's commitment to use education to create safe and caring schools. During the campaign educators are encouraged to emphasise values such as respect and reconciliation and to organise activities that will equip learners with skills for conflict resolution and conflict management.
Mafu High School was chosen as the venue for the hand over ceremony of the Torch after a tragic incident last year when a learner was stabbed to death by another learner during the morning assembly. Programme for the handover of the Torch of Peace to KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Education by Gauteng MEC for education at Mafu High School on the 30 January 2008.
Programme director: Cassius Lubisi, PhD Superintendent-General
1. Opening and Welcome
2. Observance of a minute of silence in memory of children, learners, educators and parents who died through violence
3. Item: Musical Item
4. Short message of commitment
4.1. Representative Council of Learners: Palm of Peace
4.2. GFP: Declaration of non-violence against women, children and disabled
4.3. Local councillor
4.4. South African Police Service
5. Item: Musical Item
6. Handover of the Torch of Peace by Ms Angelina Motshekga MEC for Education in the Gauteng province
7. Response by Ms P Nkonyeni: KZN MEC for Health and Acting MEC for Education
8. National Anthem
9. Vote of thanks by Mr C Lancaster, Midlands Cluster Manager
10. National Anthem
Cell: 079 495 8657
Issued by: Department of Education, KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Government
28 January 2008