Informal gathering with Labour Minister Mdladlana
18 January 2007
The Minister of Labour, Membathisi Mdladlana, has set aside 30 January for an informal media briefing session for beat journalists and editors who have consistently supported the department in expediting service delivery to the most vulnerable of workers.
The media continues to play a pivotal role in educating employers and the public on a number of legislative changes affecting the workplace and the public in general.
The Minister will share information on the following amongst others:
* review of the year 2006 ministerial programme of action this will include talking to the Audit Qualifications that the Department received last year
* the highlights for the year 2007
* the Commission on Employment Equity Report; particularly the naming and shaming issue
* Occupational Health and Safety Report
* identify labour laws that need to be reviewed
* and figure out Laws that need to be amended; this includes revisiting the link between Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) and maternity leave.
This briefing session will also be used to build on the good relations that already exist between the media and the department.
Journalists and editors will be afforded an opportunity to engage the Minister on a variety of issues, including his role as Chairperson of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) Governing Body.
Tel: (012) 309 4882
Cell: 084 371 2738
Tel: (012) 309 4447
Cell: 082 665 8546
Date: 30 January 2007
Time: 17h30 to 21h00
Venue: House no.15, Brynterion Estate, Dumbarton Street
***(Directions: Church Street turn left at Dumbarton Street and right at Nassau next to OR Tambo House. Entrance is through Gate 10)***
Tel: (012) 392 9622
Cell: 082 906 3878
Issued by: Department of Labour
18 January 2007