CONFERENCE ON HIGHER EDUCATION CURRICULUM AND SOCIETY: RELEVANCE, QUALITY AND DEVELOPMENT
30 March 2004
The Minister of Education, Professor Kader Asmal, MP, has convened a conference on Higher Education Curriculum and Society to be held in Pretoria from 1 - 2 April 2004. The Conference will be held at the University of Pretoria.
The purpose of this conference is to begin a debate on matters of curriculum in Higher Education. The title of the conference is, Higher Education Curriculum and Society: Relevance, Quality and Development.
1. The Programme for the evening of the 1st April will begin with an opening Keynote Address from the Minister at 19:00. The Director-General will be the Master of Ceremony.
2. The University of Pretoria has offered to host the conference and will provide dinner. Please note following details:
* Venue: Villa Museum, Main campus
* Minister's Adress: 19:00
* Dinner: 20:00
3. The second day of the conference will begin at 8h45, allowing time for the participants attending on the 2nd day only to arrive and for tea.
4. The plenary session will begin at 9h00 with the following presenters allocated 30 minutes each and looking at key challenges for curriculum transformation:
* Professor William Makgoba (Pan African perspective)
* Professor Amina Mama (Gender perspective)
* Zwelinzima Vavi/Prof. Loyiso Nongxa (Civil Society/ Research/ Academic perspective)
5. There will be 6 focus areas and all these will be discussed in sets of two parallel sessions
Registration will take place from 18:00, so journalists are expected to be there by at least 18:30.
Cell: 082 573 0397
Issued by: Ministry of Education
30 March 2004