Eastern Cape Legislature to host provincial summit on public participation and petitions
26 Oct 2012
The Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature is hosting a Provincial Summit on Public Participation and Petitions in Port Alfred next week. The Summit shall be held under the umbrella theme: “Consolidating democratic governance through Public Participation and Petitions Management”.
Mechanisms for effective public participation shall be discussed in the summit, which is also aimed to:
- Develop a provincial petitions framework with the aim of harmonising the petition system in the province.
- Seek views on the development of the public participation framework for the south African sector
- Share experiences and challenges emanating from the participation of Traditional Leaders in Municipal Councils.
- Share the understanding of Public Participation and Petitions processes with all spheres of government.
- Develop a common approach in dealing with Public Participation with other spheres of government.
- Sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Municipalities to enhance the capacity of the Legislature and the Municipalities to conduct public participation, law making and oversight.
Participants shall include:
- Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature Presiding Officers, Public Participation and Petitions Standing Committee, Chief Whip
- Municipality Mayors, Speakers, Chief Whips, Municipal Managers
- Local Government and Traditional Affairs, South African Local Government Association, House of Traditional Leaders, Traditional Leaders
- Chapter 9 Institutions and Academic Institutions
The Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature is committed to uplift the lives of the people of the Eastern Cape by effectively administering its constitutional obligation.
Members of the media are therefore invited to attend and cover this important event.
Date: 31 October - 2 November 2012
Venue: Fish River Sun Hotel, Port Alfred
Day one: Wednesday, 31 October 2012
- 15:00 - 17:00: Arrival and Registration
- 18:00 - 18:30: Opening and Welcome - Hon Speaker: Mr FD Xasa
- 18:30 - 19:30: Signing of the Memorandum of Understanding
- 19:30 - 21:00: Gala Dinner
Day two: Thursday, 1 November 2012
- 8:30 - 9:00 Purpose of the Summit - Hon AI Pikinini
- 9:00 - 9:30 Introduction of Guests - Hon B Tunyiswa
- 9:00 - 10:00 Opening Address - Hon FD Xasa
10:00 - 10:30: Tea break
- 11:00 - 11:45: Experience of Traditional Leaders in Municipal Councils Chief N. Matanzima
- 11:45 - 12:30: Participation of Traditional Leaders in Municipalities: Lessons Learnt Minister Baloyi
- 12:30 - 13:00: Questions & Comments
13:00 - 14:00: Lunch
- 14:00 – 14:45: Legislature Role and Partnership with Municipalities in Petitions Management Hon. L Lasindwa
- 14:45 – 15:30: Public Participation and Public Education as Constitutional Mandates Hon. M Mthimkhulu
- 15:30 - 16:00: Questions & Comments
16:00 - 16:30: Tea break
- 16:30 – 17:30: Group Discussions (Commissions)
Day three: Friday, 2 November 2012
- 8:30 - 9:30: Group Discussions Continue
- 9:30 - 10:30: Report Back by Commissions (Plenary)
10:30 - 11:00: Tea break
- 11:00 - 12:30: Report Back by Commissions (Plenary)
- 12:30 - 13:00: Vote of Thanks
For interviews or more information, kindly liaise with:
Cell: 071 642 3490
Issued by: Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature
26 Oct 2012
[ Top ]