Department of Labour meets chiefs of construction industry to improve the status of occupational health and safety in the industry
27 Sep 2012
The Department of Labour (DoL) through its Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Chief Directorate is inviting the media to a Chief Executive Officer’s Breakfast session on Friday (September 28) to discuss the plan of action which was developed based on the Construction Health and safety Accord’s objectives.
DoL Manager: Occupational Health and Safety Phumudzo Maphaha said the breakfast session will be used by the department’s Chief Inspector to discuss the Plan of Action regarding the Construction Health and Safety Accord and on the proposed Amended Construction Regulations and the way forward.
Maphaha said the forum is a follow-up session from the historic signing of the Construction Health and Safety Accord ceremony which was held in Birchwood in August 2012. The session is targeting Chief Executive officers and Clients from the Construction Sector only.
The session will be held at Emperor’s palace (formerly Caesar’s) next to OR Tambo International Airport, Kempton Park. About 120 delegates are expected to attend the session. Formal proceedings will begin at 7h00.
The Construction Health and Safety Accord agreement was signed last month with various stakeholders such as the Department of Public Works; together with labour federations, with business federations and industry organisations.
The Accord is part of an effort to improve the status of occupational health and safety in the construction sector in South Africa.
The building and construction sector - identified as one of high risks sectors alongside the agriculture and forestry, chemical, food, drink and tobacco industries and iron & steel - paid more than R287 million for occupational injuries in the past year ending 31 March. In the building and construction sector in the period from 2007/10 there were 171 fatalities and 755 injuries.
Tomorrow’s DoL’s/Chief Executive Officer’s Breakfast session and the Construction Health and Safety Accord are endeavours by the DoL’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) unit aimed at improving workplace health and safety under the program: “Road to Zero”
“The intention is to make this session a regular forum of engagement with the stakeholders over the next five years,” Maphaha said.
Maphaha said although tomorrow’s session was targeting the construction sector, plans were afoot to broaden the initiative to other sectors, especially the high risks industries.
The Chief Inspector and acting Deputy Director General of the Inspection and Enforcement Services Thobile Lamati will deliver a keynote address followed by various stakeholders from industry, business and labour movement.
Cell: 082 809 3195
Issued by: Department of Labour
27 Sep 2012
[ Top ]