CRL Rights Commission celebrate Heritage Month 2012 under the national theme “Celebrating the heroes and heroines of the liberation struggle in South Africa’
4 Sep 2012
September marks the annual Heritage month in South Africa and the 24th of this month was declared a public holiday under the Public Holidays Act of 1994. Heritage month recognises aspects of South African culture and heritage which are both tangible and intangible, creative expression such as music and performances, our historical inheritance, language, spirituality, sacred sites, indigenous food and popular memory.
The Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities, in supporting the national, provincial Department of Arts and Culture and various heritage institutions will be joining the rest of the South African Communities in celebrating the heritage month 2012 under the theme:
“Celebrating the Heroes and Heroines of the liberation struggle in South Africa”
In providing expression to the theme for the 2012 Heritage Month, the CRL Rights Commission will have the following activities:
- Hold its provincial consultative engagements’ seminars in Kwazulu Natal and Northern Cape provinces on the 13th and 20th of September 2012 as a build up to its National Consultative Conference in February 2013.
- Launch the research report on the challenges facing the Rastafari Community in South Africa 2012 at a date that will be arranged.
- Facilitate the South African local government association summit on imminent shortage of cemeteries on the 12th and 13th of September 2012.
- Participate in the Gauteng Provincial Heritage Week and National Heritage Day in Northern Cape Province on the 21st until the 24th of September 2012.
- Conduct investigation and mediation hearings in the Eastern Cape regarding protection of graves at a date that will be arranged.
- Embark on an outreach programme to the North West province by visiting high schools, traditional leadership community and the interfaith communities on 27 - 30 September 2012.
- Host a community seminar in Eastern Cape on the future of living heritage on the 27th of September 2012.
The CRL Rights Commission would like to encourage the participation of all cultural, religious and language communities during this Heritage month 2012.
For media interviews contact:
Adv Sipho Mantula
Communications and Marketing Officer
Tel: 011 537 7628
Cell: 083 233 1538
Issued by: Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities
4 Sep 2012
[ Top ]