Finalisation of name changes in the Free State
19 Jun 2012Following the pursuit of the legal process for Name Changing in the Free State, certain geographical names are in the process of being finalised. The legal process entailed, amongst others, public hearings which were staged in various localities across the Province as follows:
Following these public hearings the outcome of name changes is as follows:
- Kroonstad, 6 October 2011
- Petrus Steyn, 11 October 2011
- Universitas Hospital, Bloemfontein International Airport, Trompsburg Hospital, 13 December 2011
- Dr Matlhape Hospital, 14 December 2011
The above names have been dispatched to the Minister of Arts and Culture for gazetting.
- Kroonstad will change to Maokeng
- Petrus Steyn will change to Mamafubedu
- Universitas Hospital will change to Albertina Sisulu Academic Hospital
- Bloemfontein International Airport will change to Braam Fischer International Airport
- Trompsburg Hospital will change to Albert Nzula Hospital
- The new hospital to be built in Bloemfontein will be named after Dr Matlhape as Dr Matlhape Hospital.
The MEC for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation will like to thank all communities who took part in the public hearings.
Further applications have been received for changing of names of the following towns: Brandfort; Zastron, Clocolan, Windburg and Odendaalsrus. Public hearings on the proposed change of names of these towns will follow in due course.
Your media establishment is cordially invited to the event.
Tel: 051 – 4104742/4786/4719
Cell: 082 940 2392
Tel: 051 410 4702
Issued by: Free State Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation
19 Jun 2012
[ Top ]