Parliament’s Presiding Officers meet the Indian President, Mrs Pratibha Patil
3 May 2012
National Assembly (NA) Speaker, Mr Max Sisulu, and National Council of Provinces (NCOP) Chairperson, Mr Mninwa Mahlangu will tomorrow, Friday 4 May meet the President of the Republic of India Mrs Pratibha Patil and her delegation at Parliament.
The visit to Parliament is aimed at briefing Mrs Patil on issues of mutual interest between the South African and Indian Parliaments. South Africa and India share a strategic partnership and a special bond of friendship.
Parliament’s Presiding Officers will be joined by House Chairpersons for International Relations in the NA and the NCOP and the Chairpersons of the Portfolio Committees for International Relations and Economic Development.
Media wishing to cover the visit should send their details to Nolizwi Magwagwa at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 083 313 1323 or 021-403 2465. Details required are full name, ID or passport number, name of media house, designation (photographer, cameraperson, for example).
- Arrival of the President of the Republic of India and her delegation at the steps of the National Assembly Building tomorrow at 10h00. She will be received by Speaker of the NA and the Chairperson of the NCOP. The Parliamentary choir will provide entertainment.
- The President of the Republic of India, and her delegation, proceed to the foyer of the National Assembly where the symbols of the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa will be presented for viewing by the NA’s Sergeant-at-Arms and the NCOP’s Usher of the Black Rod. They will proceed to the Old Assembly Chamber for a brief tour.
- The delegation proceeds to Room V8 in the Old Assembly Building for a bilateral meeting (media will be allowed in for a few minutes and then requested to withdraw)
- At the conclusion the meeting, the Presiding Officers invite the President of the Republic of India to proceed to the Gallery Hall in the NCOP Building Foyer to sign the Distinguished Guests Book. This is followed by an exchange of gifts.
- The Presiding Officers bid farewell to the President of the Republic of India at the steps of the National Council of Provinces Building.
Issued by: Parliament of South Africa
3 May 2012
[ Top ]