Government offers hearing to Sunrise Park
23 Apr 2012
In stepping in to resolve issues that led to violent protest marches in Sunrise Park last week, North West MEC for Local Government and Traditional Affairs, Paul Sebegoe together with the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Richard Baloyi has established an interim working committee consisting of the Sunrise Park community and senior officials from both the provincial and national departments.
This decision came as a result of the recent violent service delivery protests which saw malicious damage to public and private properties when members of the community took to the streets in demand of services including water, sanitation, electricity and lack of low-cost houses.
MEC Paul Sebegoe had during his address to the community of Ward 22 in Sunrise Park, Rustenburg on Saturday, 21 April 2012 appealed for peace and calm in the area to allow a proper consultation process to unfold.
“Government is concerned about the exaggerated protest action by the community of Sunrise Park and we call upon them to practice patience and restraint when seeking solutions from government to address issues. However, protesters should avoid violent disorder and give government a chance to deliver on its promises”, MEC Sebegoe said.
Meanwhile, Minister Baloyi said that government appreciates community participation in governance processes, hence the inclusion of all relevant stakeholders in this working committee which will be facilitated by the National department.
Cell: 072 542 8444
Issued by: North West Local Government and Traditional Affairs
23 Apr 2012
[ Top ]