Western Cape Health MEC Theuns Botha introduces Central Karoo District health council
23 Apr 2012
Today, 23 April 2012, the Western Cape Health MEC Theuns Botha introduced the Central Karoo district health council. This is the fifth out of the Western Cape's six district health councils to be introduced to the public.
The establishment of the district health councils is in accordance with the National Health Act 61 of 2003 which stipulates the establishment of District Health Councils. The Western Cape's District Health Councils Act 2010 came into effect on 24 August 2011. All six councils were established at the end of last year.
These councils will represent their respective districts and ensure the coordination of all health services with their respective municipalities. The district health councils will feed their inputs to the provincial health council, which will be composed of the chairpersons of the 6 district health councils, and chaired by the MEC.
A district health council consists of:
- A person appointed by the MEC to represent him
- A member of the relevant district council, who will also be the chair
- A member of the council of each local municipality, nominated by the members of the relevant council
- Not more than five other persons, appointed by the MEC, after consultation with the district counci.
The first priority for these councils will be the draft of a district health plan, according to the specific needs of their communities.
MEC Botha says citizens will now be able to take up health matters through their district health councils. "These members will address health issues through the appropriate structures on your behalf. This is why we are introducing these members to communities, so that they know who they can approach on issues relating to health service delivery in their area.
"By the same token these members will also be responsible for the distribution of appropriate and comprehensive information on health services in their region. If people really use these district health councils to address their health service needs, we can deliver a better service together."
The members of the Central Karoo district health council are:
- Councillor Edward Njadu, Central Karoo District municipality who will also chair the council
- Councillor Sinki Motsoane, Beaufort West Municipality
- Councillor Bertie van As, Laingsburg Municipality
- Councillor Goliath Lottering, Prince Albert Municipality
- Ms Maureen Thaw, acting Department of Health Central Karoo manager.
MEC Botha invited and encouraged the people of the Karoo communities to make use of this structure to communicate their health needs. "Approach these members to address your health service needs. In this way we will be able to improve health services together."
Spokesperson for MEC Botha
Cell: 082 771 8834
Tel: 021 483 4426
Issued by: Western Cape Health
23 Apr 2012
[ Top ]