Global Youth Service Week: 20 to 22 April 2012
16 Apr 2012The Northern Cape Department of Social Development in partnership with the National Youth Service Programme (NYS), will be celebrating Global Youth Service Week from 20 to 22 April 2012, throughout the Northern Cape Province.
The Department has agreed to engage in cleaning, painting and information sessions as its key activities across the five districts during this period, in line with the expectations for the programme. It is anticipated that 1115 young people will be participating in the programme, as per attachment.
Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) is an annual global event that:
Around the world, millions of young people are making a difference in their communities through programmes and infrastructures that address voluntary action. The focus of GYSD is to stimulate greater awareness of and support for the methodologies that promote "positive youth development" and volunteer service. Youth volunteering is an effective way to build strong youth and strong communities.
- Builds the capacity of an international network of organisations that promotes youth participation, service, and learning.
- Educates the public, the media, and policy-makers about the year-round contributions of young people as community leaders around the world.
- Mobilises youth and adults to meet the needs of their communities through volunteering.
- Learns and shares effective practices in youth service, youth voice, and civic engagement in the world today.
The main purpose of this campaign is to fulfil the following:
- To inculcate a selfless culture of service amongst young people.
- To mobilise at least 1000 young people to provide essential services to their communities.
- To create awareness and profile the National Youth Service.
- To provide services for the benefit of communities in need of the identified services.
- Foster social cohesion and re-integration of young people into their communities.
- Leverage the energy of young people in meeting the needs of their communities.
- Promote young people as resources and not problems in their communities.
Cell: 079 873 0679
Issued by: Northern Cape Social Development
16 Apr 2012
[ Top ]