Results of the municipal by-elections
15 Feb 2012
The Electoral Commission (IEC) said the African National Congress won five of the seven municipal ward by-elections which took place on Wednesday, 15 February 2012. Of the remaining seats, one each went to the Democratic Alliance and the Inkatha Freedom Party.
Voter turnout varied between 56.68% and 5.76% with an average of 19.18%.
The new councillor for the uncontested Ward 9 in Metsimaholo [Sasolburg] Municipality – FS204, Free State, is Seipati Suzan Mofokeng of the African National Congress. The African National Congress retained the seat.
Two by-elections were contested in Tshwane Metro [Pretoria] Municipality – TSH, Gauteng. The new councillors both represent the African National Congress:
- Rebone Mothoalo Henry Mokgothadi in Ward 28 and
- Cameron Brighton Ngwenya in Ward 80.
Both wards were previously represented by the African National Congress.
The by-election which took place in KwaZulu-Natal was won by the Inkatha Freedom Party. The new councillor for Ward 13 in Ulundi [Ulundi] Municipality – KZN266 is Sindisiwe Khumalo. The Inkatha Freedom Party retained the seat.
Three by-elections took place in Limpopo, all of them in Polokwane [Pietersburg] Municipality – LIM354.
The new councillors are:
- Matlou Melica Mabitsela of the African National Congress in Ward 17. The African National Congress retained the seat;
- Evelyn Rayne Wilson of the Democratic Alliance in Ward 20. This ward was previously represented by the African National Congress.
The African National Congress previously received 47.66% of the 52.20% turnout while the Democratic Alliance received 62.87% of the 23.99% turnout in yesterday’s by-election.
- Tlou Martha Mabutla of the African National Congress in Ward 36. The African National Congress retained the seat.
The detailed results for each ward are available on the IEC website on www.elections.org.za.
For media queries:
Cell: 082 600 6386
For media interviews, please email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issued by: Independent Electoral Commission
15 Feb 2012
[ Top ]