Announcement of the appointment of the new Chairman of Telkom SA Limited and change in directors
17 Feb 2011
In compliance with paragraph 3.59 (b) of the JSE Listings Requirements, and in accordance with the articles of association of Telkom, shareholders are informed that:
- Mr Jeff Molobela retires as Chairman of Telkom and he has been re-appointed as a non-executive director of the Telkom Board for a period of three years with effect from 16 February 2011.
Telkom is grateful to Mr Molobela for his leadership, dedication, contribution and service during his tenure as chairman of the board.
- Mr Polelo Lazarus Zim has been appointed as a non-executive director for a three year period and as chairman for a one year period with effect from 16 February 2011.
After studying at the Universities of Fort Hare and Witwatersrand, Mr Lazarus Zim obtained an M Com from the Rand Afrikaans University and an honorary Doctorate of Commerce from the University of Fort Hare. He has had an illustrious career. He has served as CEO of the M-Net Channel, Managing Director of M-Net SuperSport, CEO of MIH South Africa, Managing Director of MTN International and Executive Director of the MTN Group, and Chief Executive of Anglo America SA Limited. Mr Zim has held numerous non-executive directorships and has contributed as Chairman, President, Director and Member to numerous South African Government Institutions and professional organisations. He is Chairman of Afripalm Resources and Northam Platinum. He is also a shareholder and director of TNA Media, publishers of The New Age Newspaper
- Mr Navin Kapila has been appointed as a non-executive director for a three year period with effect from 16 February 2011.
Mr Kapila was educated at India’s Punjab University. He is a seasoned professional who has, for the past 20 years, gained vast experience in diverse fields including investment, business and product development and relationship and alliance management. He has in-depth telecommunications experience and was involved in policy formulation and market deregulation in India. Mr Kapila is the Vice President of Corporate Development at ICO Global Communications (London), and has also served as Vice President of Government Affairs and Director of Business Development in the same company.
- Shareholders are further informed that Ms RJ Huntley and Ms JN Hope have been re-appointed as non-executive directors for a period of three years, with effect from 16 February 2011.
- Dr Victor Lawrence's appointment as a non-executive director (Class A Shareholder representative) has been terminated with effect from 15 February 2011.
The Board of Telkom thanks Dr Lawrence for his contribution and counsel during his tenure, and wishes him every success in the future.
The appointments of Messrs Zim, Kapila and Molobela, and Ms RJ Huntley and Ms JN Hope are made by the Government of South Africa, Telkom's Class A shareholder holding 39.8 percent of the issued share capital as at 31 January 2011.
Issued by: Department of Communications
17 Feb 2011
[ Top ]