EEC Hearing: Gender Transformation in the Workplace
12 Feb 2011
On 17 and 18 February 2011, the Commission for Gender Equality (CGE), will host the second leg of it Employment Equity Hearing: Gender Transformation in the Workplace. In accordance with the powers outlined in the CGE Act, the CGE will draw a sample of Directors-General (DGs) from the public sector, and Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) from the private sector, for them to account for the slow pace of gender transformation in the workplace, and inadequate promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment, particularly for women with disabilities.
The hearing will be conducted at the Constitutional Court, Auditorium, Constitution Hill, Braamfontein. The purpose of the hearing is to demand accountability for, identify challenges and develop recommendations to ensure the realisation of gender equality in the workplace.
Objectives of the hearings:
- To assess the impact of the Employment Equity Act (EEA) on women in both the public and private sectors, and address institutional and systematic barriers to their economic progress
- To hold public and private sector Directors accountable for non-compliance with the EEA
- To raise awareness on relevant international commitments and the importance of compliance
- To assess what measures have been put in place in the work place to bring about transformation in terms of gender and disability.
- To share experiences and identify challenges faced by CEOs and Director-Generals in the implementation of the EEA
- Tostrengthen the working relationship between constitutional bodies and civil society in raising awareness about South Africa’s compliance with international instruments
A media statement will be issued at the end of each day to sensitize the public through the media on emerging issues. The CGE will seek further engagement with the media to publicise findings and recommendations from the hearing process.
The companies and departments scheduled to participate in this hearing are as follows:
Aveng Group Ltd
- Kairos Industrial Holdings
- Great Basin Gold
- The Presidency
- Department of Environmental Affairs
- Department of Tourism
- Department of Labour
- Department of Public Service and Administration
- Department of Basic Education
RSVP and enquiries:
Javu Baloyi (CGE Spokesperson)
Cell: 083 579 3306
Issued by: Commission for Gender Equality
12 Feb 2011
[ Top ]