2010 October Transport Month (OTM) campaign to set pace for Green Transport
21 Sep 2010
The objectives of the month-long campaign include amongst others:
• Promoting the benefits of green transport.
• Raising awareness about a clean and safe environment.
• Promoting investment on road infrastructure.
• Encouraging and mobilising the public and stakeholders to work in partnership towards sustainable mobility.
• Promoting non-motorised forms of mobility and environmental benefits thereof.
• Raising awareness of the importance of public transport.
• Ensuring popular participation and partnerships with public to use public transport on “Car Free Day” on 20 October 2010. Gauteng motorists are encouraged to play their small part in contributing to preserving the environment by making use of public transport.
This years' flagship project will be the Green Transport summit which will involve experts from research and academic institutions, and car manufacturers. The outcomes of the summit will be used to develop a departmental strategy document on green transport.
The entire campaign will reflect on the successful planning and coordination of the use of public transport during the recently held FIFA World Cup and the lessons learnt from it thereof. The year 2010 marks the sixth year since the launch of the Public Transport Campaign in 2005.
Source: Department of Roads and Transport, Gauteng Provincial Government
Issued by: Gauteng Roads and Transport
21 Sep 2010
[ Top ]