Media statement by the Minister for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Honourable Tina Joemat-Pettersson
6 Sep 2010
The Ministry and Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is happy to announce the appointment of and introduce Mr Langa Zita as the new Director-General (DG) of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF).
It has been an arduous long walk to get to this point. Although this may look like a process that has taken too long, understood in the proper context, you will know that it has taken us only three months to finally appoint the DG.
Although this ministry and department were created in June last year, the total transfer of the fisheries branch was only completely transfered to us in April this year.
We have always said that when we finally appoint a DG, it will be a DG of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, and not only of agriculture, which has been the misnomer of many of our stakeholders including the media, thinking that this portfolio is only about agriculture.
We are therefore happy to introduce Mr Langa Zita as the new DG. Until his appointment, Mr Zita was Special Advisor to the Minister focusing on policy.
We are particularly proud to have found a candidate that brings in a full background and skills required for this very important role. Born in Peddie in 1967, this married father of two sons brings a very impressive CV and pedigree to DAFF that includes:
- Masters degree in Public Development and Management from Witwatersrand University
- A journalism degree from Rhodes University
- Studying towards BA Honours degree in Economics through the University of the Western Cape (research paper outstanding)
- A prospective PhD candidate with the University of Cape Town looking at the politcal economy of freedom in the developing world.
Mr Zita comes with a rich political background having started in students politics in 1980 leading up to his election as Member of Parliament in the National Assembly of the governing African National Congress in 1999.
In the National Assembly his roles included:
- 1999 Member ANC Economic Transformation Committee of the National Executive Committee
- 2005 appointed as the Chairperson of Environment and Tourism Portfolio Committee
- 2006 appointed as a Convener of the Economic Cluster Committee of the African National Congress in Parliament.
His experience means that he also brings in the understanding of the fisheries sector, which is an integral part of our department. Having worked in the economic cluster of the ANC, the knowledge he brings will help translate the ANC economic policies into the work of DAFF.
Under his stewardship, we are confident that DAFF will now knuckle down on the deliverables set for us by President Jacob Zuma, which include:
- Decent employment through economic growth
- Protect and enhance our environmental assets and natural resources
- Vibrant, equitable and sustainable rural communities and food security for all
- Creating a better South Africa and contribution to a better and safer Africa in a better world
- A skilled and capable workforce and
- Sustainable human settlements and improved quality of household life.
The Ministry and Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries welcomes Mr Zita in his new office and we are confident that he will elevate our work to the world class levels required for us to meet our priorities.
Tel: 021 402 3448
Cell: 082 829 3917
Issued by: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
6 Sep 2010
[ Top ]