22 April 2009
South Africa will go to the polls for the fourth democratic elections on 22 April 2009. President Motlanthe has declared election day a public holiday.
Call the Independent Electoral Commission on 0800 11 8000 for more information.
Check your voter registration details
Registration for this election is closed.
- A toll-free number, 0800 118 000, had been set up for people to call with queries about registration. (This number is toll-free from land lines only. For cell phones normal rates apply.)
- Those wishing to check whether they appear on the voters’ roll could also SMS their ID numbers to 32810 at a cost of R1.
- You can also check your details online with the Independent Electoral Commission.
What happens after the election?
Establishment of the 4th Democratic Parliament
- First sitting of the National Assembly, 6 May 2009:
- Swearing in of Members of Parliament
- Election of President of South Africa
- Election of Speaker and Deputy Speaker
- First Sitting of the National Council of Provinces, 7 May 2009
- Swearing in of members
- Election of Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson
- Inauguration of the President of South Africa, 9 May 2009
- State of the Nation Address, 3 June 2009
Regulations and legislation
An index of regulations and legislation published in the Government Gazette on the elections
Independent Electoral Commission
[ Top ]