National Orders awards
21 September 2007
Order of Mendi for Bravery in Silver
- William Mfulwane (Posthumous): For sacrificing his life in an attempt to save the life of a boy drowning in a
Order of Mendi for Bravery in Gold
- Luthuli Detachment: For exceptional contribution to the freedom struggle in Southern Africa
by embarking on the first-ever armed military operation against white
rule in 20th century South Africa, thereby waging pitched battles against
the then Rhodesian state, and by displaying immense bravery against
tremendous military odds.
Order of Ikhamanga in Bronze
- Gladys Thomas: For outstanding contribution to poetry and short stories through
which she exposed the political injustices and human suffering of
the apartheid regime and for raising international consciousness
about the ravages of apartheid.
Order of Ikhamanga in Silver
- The Blue Notes: For excellent achievement in the genre of jazz music, contributing
to the development of music in the South African townships and defying apartheid laws by forming a multiracial group.
- George Moir Christie: For excellent contribution to the game of rugby through
his remarkable coaching abilities, and coaching South
Africa to Rugby World Cup victory in 1995.
- Morné du Plessis: For excellent achievement in rugby, putting
South Africa on the world stage through being inducted into the
Rugby Hall of Fame and promoting the use of sport for social
change throughout the world.
- William Kentridge: For excellent contribution in the field of fine arts and non-racial
theatre in South Africa.
- Mandla Langa: For excellent contribution to the struggle against apartheid, achievements in the field of literature and journalism and contributing
to post-apartheid South Africa through serving in different
- The Manhattan Brothers: For revolutionising jazz music and contributing to cultural
development in South Africa, restoring a sense of pride among the oppressed communities in the face of
apartheid harassment and racial discrimination.
- Nathaniel Ndazana Nakasa: For excellent contribution to journalism through which he challenged the system of apartheid and racial stereotypes striving for a non-racial, non-sexist and democratic South
- Schalk Pienaar (Posthumous):For raising consciousness in the Afrikaner community,
particularly among journalists, about the immorality of
apartheid and making them open to change through his
daring questioning of the status quo.
- Henry Segome Ramaila: For excellent contribution to the development of indigenous languages as a prolific fiction writer of Sepedi literature.
- Sam Ramsamy: For excellent contribution to the building of non-racial
sport during apartheid and contributing to sporting
development in a democratic South Africa.
- Edward Roux (Posthumous): For excellent contribution to the struggle for a non-racial,
non-sexist, just and democratic South Africa under trying
- Roland Schoeman: For excellent achievement in the field of swimming.
- Mongane Wally Serote: For excellent contribution to literature, with emphasis on poetry and
for putting his artistic talents at the service of democracy in South
Order of Ikhamanga in Gold
- Elisabeth Françoise Eybers: For breaking through the gender barriers and exceptionally contributing to the literature genre of poetry, especially reflecting on gender issues, and raising awareness about the evils of
the apartheid system.
Order of Mapungubwe in Silver
- Claire Penn: For excellent contribution to the field of speech and language pathology, especially in the area of linguistics, sign
language, child language, aphasia and head injury and
producing roundbreaking research in understanding the
complexities of human communication.
- Sibusiso Sibisi: For excellent contribution in the field of information technology
in South Africa, contributing to the development of
research and development (R&D) and providing business
technology with analyses and strategies.
- Valerie Mizrahi: For excellent contribution in the field of biochemistry and molecular
biology and contributing to the developing of genetic tools for validating new drug targets and vaccine candidates for tuberculosis.
[ Top ]